Friday, February 11, 2011

Blog #4

This shack does not look pleasant to live in but I think I could do it temporarily if I had to. I put emphasis on temporarily though because I do not think I would want to do this my whole life nor would I want to be there much more than a week.I think living in isolation, like Thoreau, would be extremely difficult. I have similar feelings about living in isolation as I do about living in the shack. They are both things I think I could handle for a little bit but not for a long time. If my friends would join me in the woods I would probably last longer than being alone. Spending time in the woods alone would be okay for a few days and may help me connect with myself. I think it is important to get away from our stressful society to take time and relax. One way I know my family does this is by going to our cabin which is a real cabin not like some peoples' where it is just a little off from their normal house.
                                                   
My cabin has no running water or electricity. This picture above is my cabin. It isn't the nicest thing but that sort of makes it even nicer. When we go here we don't have to take our shoes off or worry about much. It is just a place to relax. Going to my cabin occasionally helps to clear your head and escape the constant business we face everyday. However, if I spent a long period of time alone in isolation I think I would be extremely lonely and sad. Being around people is one thing that makes me happy and that's why I don't think I would want to be in the woods alone for a long time period.


These are some of the picture from when I went home a few weekends ago and my family went on a walk at our cabin. Things like this are always nice because it allows us to relax.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures. It looks so tranquil and relaxing--a nice escape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could live there probably for a weekend and then I would go crazy living in that tiny little house. I totally agree with that..if my friends were allowed to come with me when I was living in the woods I would be totally fine. They would make things easier and I wouldn't feel like I was missing out. Your cabin looks nice. I think that would be a nice thing to have to just get away from the real world and be with friends or family members.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think its cool how you have a place where you can go to when you need to escape. I wish I had a permanent sanctuary like this where I could go to find peace of mind. You are very fortunate to have a family that likes to go out and do things like this. My family thinks I'm crazy because I love backpacking so much. I would literally have to drag them along with me if I wanted them to come with me. That's cool how you have companions like that. Me and my best friend Alex are always going and it makes it a lot more fun to go out into the wild with friends, but by the same token there is inner peace that you can gain by going by yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you on making this a temporary thing. Because I couldn't like more than a month at most. I could probably barely last that long. Especially by yourself like you said. Maybe if I had some friends that joined me it would make it easier. But after awhile it would get boring. I think a lot of us need the normal things in our houses and that cabin does not have those things. I'm used to the house I live in now and to transfer to that small cabin for a year. That would take a lot of change at once.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you about only being able to be there for a temporary time frame. I totally agree with you. Having alone time away from our technology is a great thing to have. It would be an amazing time for a whole family to do every once in a while to really connect as a family. That is awesome that you have a place like that. Im sure it is really great for you and your family

    ReplyDelete